intro

Welcome to the CRAFT-y Corner of my Web!
A place for my Workings, my Weavings ...
oh, and my more mundane crafts as well.

Monday, October 15, 2012

Herbalism: Lemon Balm & Honey Sore Throat Syrup.

So ... I've caught my first cold of the season. Due to this being a common cold and not a flu, I pretty much need to ride it out and allow my immune system to deal with it (lots of water with tinctures of Echinacea and Catnip to bolster my immune system, and Mullein to support my breathing).

Since I have a sore throat and pained ears that flare together when I swallow, suggesting that my eustachian tubes (the canals that link ears and throat) are involved, I am making up a batch of Sore Throat Syrup.

Ingredients:
Water - 2 cups
Lemon Balm - 1 cup dried leaves or 2 cups fresh, shredded leaves
Cloves, whole - 6
Ginger - 1 tsp dried, ground ... 2 cup fresh, grated
Cinnamon - 1 stick
Honey, crystallized - 2 cups

Place a pot (preferably ceramic) onto the stove and add all the ingredients except the honey ... stir gently until all the of the lemon balm leaf has been wet down. Set heat to simmer and allow to sit for 1 hour ... DO NOT BOIL else all the beneficial elements of the Lemon Balm will be lost (it IS a mint after all ^_~ ).

Rinse the pot and set aside for now.

Strain out the solid ingredients and return the liquid to the pot ... add in the honey and return to simmer until the honey has melted well in, stirring gently. Usually takes about 10-15 minutes. Again DO NOT BOIL.

Pour contents of the pot into a container, cap and allow to cool.

Refrigerate ... will keep about 4 months in the fridge but odds are you will likely use it up before then ^_~

Dosage: As needed - 1 teaspoon either melted into 1 cup of warm water or milk, or direct from the spoon.


No comments:

Post a Comment