intro

Welcome to the CRAFT-y Corner of my Web!
A place for my Workings, my Weavings ...
oh, and my more mundane crafts as well.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Herbalism: Healing Salve variations for Respiration and Flu

I made these salves today as I woke up at 4am this morning when my brain informed me that it had heard Kara stop breathing (yes, apparently the years I spent raising my two boys has honed my "mum-senses" to the point where such things will still rouse me). I used the same basic herbal recipe and procedure as I had when I made the Anaglesic one back in March.

My intention with these two variations was to create a salve/rub which would be a healthy substitute to Vicks Vaporub as well as a salve/rub which would contain my aromatherapy recipe for a anti-flu blend.

I used the same proportions of Calendula, Lemon Balm, Plantain, Comfrey leaf, and St. John's Wort (7 grams of dried herb each) and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2 cups) ... but I have altered the Beeswax (remember to use Soywax if bee allergies are an issue) amount to 27 grams from the original 33 grams as I want to have an end result that is more readily spreadable than the original.

I am using two different Aromatherapy blends:

Respiratory Rub (RR) -  6 drops Ravensara, 6 drops Eucalyptus, 9 drops Cedar, 9 drops Frankincense

Anti-Flu (AF) - 8 drops Oregano, 16 drops Thyme, 8 drops Turmeric, and 8 drops Tarragon.

I placed the essential oils into the jars I intended to hold the finished product ... a 125ml jar for the RR blend, a 250ml jar for the AF blend ... which has given me another full 250ml jar of unscented healing salve which I can use plain on/for someone with scent sensitivities or can rewarm at a later date to add essential oils to (likely my kitchen burn blend as I'm running low).

No photos this time as I documented and explained everything in detail in my first healing salve post.

The RR blend is meant to be used as one would the Vicks product ... chest (not over areolas or nipples, mind you [on male or female]), throat, and back.

The AF blend is meant to be used 2 times per day on the throat, back of the neck, and (if actually fighting a bug) across the sinuses.


No comments:

Post a Comment