intro

Welcome to the CRAFT-y Corner of my Web!
A place for my Workings, my Weavings ...
oh, and my more mundane crafts as well.

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Baking: Hobbit Honey Cakes

On the 3rd of January, the literary world celebrated the 120th birthday of J.R.R. Tolkien and I wanted to to do something to celebrate it. It occurred to me that it might be most fitting to bake up some honey cakes, as they are a Hobbit's proper snack for tea-time (and supper, and dinner ...).

Sending Kara out on a quest for those ingredients that I lacked in the house (which amounted to most everything ^_~), I got everything ready. Sadly, due to time constraints, I wasn't able to get the cakes done that day like I'd wanted, but I did get onto them first thing this morning.

Since my jars of honey had crystallized,
I started by heating them thoroughly in a
water bath to return the honey granules
liquid.

Getting all my tools together.





All the dry ingredients whisked together.

Only the best will do for a Hobbit's cake,
12 yr old Glenfiddich Whiskey to warm the
soul after a hard day's toil.


A cupful of honey, all ready to go.

Mix well.


Into the molds.

And into the oven

The mini-loaves finished first.

The cakes came out so moist
that the large one kind of exploded
on me while I was taking it out of the mold.

And now comes the really good part ... the eating!

1 comment: