intro

Welcome to the CRAFT-y Corner of my Web!
A place for my Workings, my Weavings ...
oh, and my more mundane crafts as well.

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Viking Weave - my first try ever o.O

While I'm enjoying the chainmail, I thought I'd give something different a try ...
... Viking wire weave.

It's a form of jewellery making that incorporates weaving a wire around a form (in this case a dowel) and then drawing it through a successively smaller set of holes (ideally in a wooden block, but I haven't found anything that would be suitable yet ... I'm using a drill bit size gauge atm).

It's called Viking weave because pieces of it have been found in ancient Scandinavian gravesites ... it's believed that. because the weaves were usually made from precious and semi-precious metals (gold, silver, copper) that pieces of the weave could have been broken/cut off and used for currency.

This is my very first time trying this technique so, from the outset, I expected that the end result wouldn't be quite right and/or pretty. Rather than waste my good copper and silver wires on what are, essentially, practice runs, I am using coloured craft wire (it's cheap so it's not a big deal if I mess it up a few times or ten before I get the hang of it).

Casting on ... I really need to stop
using my iPhone to take my pics.

Ahh, yes ... my
"concentration face"
and my new magnifying specs.


Almost done the actual weave
portion of the process.

A rigid little wire cigar is the end result
after casting off.

Here's me drawing the now
lengthening and softening
(becoming more flexible) weave tube.

Making a Brass wire spiral for the
end pieces of what I was hoping would
be a bracelet.

Loading the wire spiral onto its
own wire to make the end piece with.

The spiral end piece.

The completed bracelet.
Not my best work ... but, when trying a new technique for the first time, one can hardly expect to be proficient. Kara liked it enough to claim it for her own.

I definitely need to invest in some proper end-piece findings figure out how to make some nice wire clasps ... need two more things for that: a small jeweller/craft anvil and a flathead hammer. 

I'm going to keep at this ... I like the intricacy of the end result and, once I get proficient at it, it's readily portable and the product can be breathtaking.


1 comment:

  1. love this site, love the name and love the bracelet!

    It's going to be nice watching your collection grow :) :)

    ReplyDelete