intro

Welcome to the CRAFT-y Corner of my Web!
A place for my Workings, my Weavings ...
oh, and my more mundane crafts as well.

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Viking Weave: Draw plate ...

I managed to pick up the four missing drill bits that I needed (only to find later that the two largest won't fit my drill chuck *faceplam*) and I picked up an Oregon Myrtlewood (Bay Laurel) napkin holder from Value Village. Repurposing the Myrtlewood, which is a very hard hardwood with a reputation for dulling carving tools, by separating the two large pieces from each other, left me with a nice large flat surface into which to drill the holes.

Even with not being able to use the two largest drill bits, everything worked out quite nicely ... large enough to be held and braced, small enough for ready portability. Although it's not pretty, I'm quite pleased with the end result. The drill bit thing isn't such a bit problem unless and until I get a bigger dowel to work with ... the one I am currently using creates a tube the right size for the holes I was able to drill. ^_^

Of course, once the holes were drilled and sandpapered to remove the worst of the rough edges and splinters, there was only one way to make sure that it would do the job ...

Assembled materials.

Battery all charged up.

Myrtlewood draw plate.

Only one way to test it ...
24g antiqued copper.
Casting on with some of my
precious 24g silver wire.

Completed woven tube.

And the drawing begins.

Getting smaller ^_^

In the smallest hole.

The end result.
The final product was smooth to the touch and the links are nicely even.

^_^

Next task is to master making attractive end piece findings and fasteners.

2 comments:

  1. You appear to be pulling the weave through the holes in the plate to stretch & tighten the weave similar to a method used to make smaller wire from larger using soft metals. Am I correct?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be quite correct. The weave is quite rigid and large when it is first pulled off the dowel/form it needs to be drawn through the plate in order to make it smaller, create a uniform appearance that negates any inconsistencies in the shape of the weave due to human error, as well as to render it more pliable and soft to the touch.

      Delete